|Gardening Together as a Family © Katrena|
|Gardening with the Kids © Katrena|
Gardening with the kids can be a fun way to connect generations. From an early age, my kids are learning that the lavender iris and pink roses that smell like perfume came from Maw. So did the black-eyed susans, daffodils, lariope, and many other dots of color and texture that make our yard unique. And the awesome red hot pokers that look like candy corn came from Aunt Cyndi. The rocks lining the gardens? Delivered by Maw and Granddad from one of their many trips to Virginia. Planting flowers is a great way to pass the shears from one generation to the next.
|Teach Family Tree in Creative Ways © Katrena|
|Practical Gardening With Kids © Katrena|
|How to Enjoy Quality Family Time © Katrena|
If you put my kids in a lovely playground full of fancy slides, swings, and other equipment, it is not unusual to see them sitting on the ground with sticks, digging in the dirt. I get excited about a truckload of soil, so I guess it's in the genes.
|Family History in the Flower Garden © Katrena|
- Plant options (starts from families/friends, seeds from store, etc.)
- How to prepare soil and make compost (also a lesson in recycling)
- Names of different gardening tools and how to care for and store them
- Good body mechanics, a topic they may appreciate more in later years
- Selecting the best location for plants and how to design a garden
- Learning about the various zones
- How to use flowers to attract butterflies, hummingbirds, etc.
- Beneficial animals for gardeners, such as worms and ladybugs
- Proper care of the flower garden
- How to recycle water
- The difference between perennials and annuals
- How to identify weeds, plants, flowers
- Safety tips, such as identifying poison ivy, what to do if you see a snake in the garden, protecting skin from sunburn, etc.
|Teach Kids Patience Through Gardening © Katrena|
|Kids Have Great Ideas for Flower Garden Designs © Katrena|
|How to Connect With Kids © Katrena|
|Enjoy Nature With the Family © Katrena|
|Flower Garden Lessons © Katrena|
|Wildflowers Can Add Color to Garden for Free © Katrena|
|Encourage Creativity in Kids © Katrena|
|Using a Garden as a Classroom © Katrena|
|Encouraging the Kids to Learn About Plants and Flowers © Katrena|
Gardening has been a part of my life for many years, a way of life that I hope will continue with my kids. Perhaps some day they will be knocking at my door, asking for a start of some of my own flowers...and maybe, just maybe, the story that goes with them!
Visit the Wildflower Bouquets site map to find more great articles on connecting generations, spending quality time with the kids, and much more!
|Bond With the Kids Through Gardening © Katrena|